Today’s guest is a world authority on executive stress. She is currently CEO of a leading UK Stress and Wellbeing consultancy and Chair of the International Stress Management Association UK. In 1988, she founded Stress Awareness Day which is celebrated around the world. She is a well-respected authority on building resilience and managing organizational change.Through her work as an international motivational speaker and coach, she has worked with global companies in the US, UK and in the Middle East. She is often called by the media to provide comment around issues of workplace stress and bullying and has appeared on BBC, CNN, and Studio One-Dubai – to name but a few. Her latest book “Show Stress Who’s Boss!” has been translated into Arabic and is available in the United Arab Emirates.
Please join me in welcoming Carole Spiers.
Would you leave an honest rating and review on iTunes? Or Stitcher? They are extremely helpful and I read each and every one of them. Thanks for the inspiration!
On the Schmooze is on C-Suite Radio.
Listen to our show and many other great
business podcasts at C-SuiteRadio.com.
In this episode we explore:
- her thoughts on leadership: “Leaders know that the people following them are every bit as integral to the team as they are in leading them.”
- how she started a conversation about stress management within companies in the 1980s long before it was the topic du jour.
- how she ended up working in The Middle East despite not knowing anyone in the area and what it taught her about the value of a diverse network.
- lessons learned from offering stress management in war zones and the reality check it provides to the everyday stress of white collar workers.
- how she sees opportunities for her business around every corner and how that challenges her ability to “turn off,” although she values her downtime with family.
- how she builds her diverse network: “I am endlessly curious. If you are curious about people and if you are an interesting person yourself and you are interested in other people – then people will be drawn to you.”
What were the key takeaways you plan to put into practice this week and benefit from for years to come? Share your thoughts in the comments.
- Carole Spiers on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook
- International Stress Awareness Day
- LinkedIn notes app – www.robbiesamuels.com/dux-soup
- FollowUpThen app – www.robbiesamuels.com/followupthen
Books mentioned in this episode:
- “Croissants vs. Bagels: Strategic, Effective, and Inclusive Networking at Conferences” – by Robbie Samuels
- “Show Stress Who’s Boss!” by Carole Spiers
- Interested in booking me to speak? Learn about my Art of the Schmooze session on effective and inclusive networking, and the other sessions I offer
- Interested in individual or group coaching? Schedule a 20-minute phone chat to discuss working together
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- @RobbieSamuels on Twitter and Instagram
- New to my website? Start here
- On the Schmooze podcast archive and show notes for recent episodes
Subscribing and leaving a rating and review on iTunes helps this podcast be discovered.
Need help using iTunes? 10 Steps to Subscribe, Rate & Review on iTunes. Thank you!
Affiliate Links: Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links above are “affiliate links”. This means that if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products and services I use personally and believe will add value to my listeners. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”